What is Prenatal Care and Why is it Important?
Prenatal care is that care which you receive during your pregnancy. A healthy pregnancy is the most important step towards a healthy birth. Prenatal care which you receive early and regularly increases the chances of a healthy pregnancy. This prenatal can also include the care which you receive before getting pregnant.
Being pregnant is a miracle and a gift of nature. Which means now you are responsible for another life. Therefore, it is so crucial to know in detail what is prenatal care and why is it important? Prenatal pregnancy information helps you a lot to deal with so many issues during this whole era. Benefits of prenatal care are long rooted. It not only produces a healthy child but also a healthy mother who is supposed to take care of that infant.
You cannot understand the meaning of life until it grows inside youSandra Chami Kssis
I totally agree with Sandra about her opinion related to pregnancy. Even if you are a new mom or already have kids. Once you come to know that you are pregnant it is very exciting. You always look forward to having a healthy you and your baby. As you get pregnant the very first question which arises in your mind is, what is prenatal care and why is it important? This is not just a question, it is a base of two lives, one of the baby and the other one is of the mother. This blog provides you the necessary information about prenatal care.
Something about Prenatal Care!
The care which a female receives throughout pregnancy and even before pregnancy is called prenatal care. A consistent and accurate pre-birth care can help you to become aware of some issues earlier. While solving these issues you can reduce the risks related to health and birth complications.
As you come to know that you are pregnant you must see the gynecologist or visit a community healthcare center. Your doctor will do a detailed physical checkup, weight check, and urine sample test. Then he/she will prepare a schedule of visits according to your age and health conditions. This will help your doctor to assess and solve your pregnancy issues side by side.
Prenatal Care is a Blessing
Every mother wants a healthy baby. So, it is very vital to have a stress-free pregnancy. It will benefit the baby as well in the womb. An excellent pre-birth assures you to enjoy every stage of pregnancy. It helps you to notice and own the different changes which take place during these 9 months of pregnancy.
Prenatal care guides you to understand which foods are good to eat during pregnancy. It also makes you aware about the foods which must be avoided for the sake of good health of you and your baby. Because some foods can be a hurdle in the way of a healthy pregnancy.
The upper part of the article has explained to you well that prenatal care includes both pre-pregnancy and pre-birth care. This portion will tell you what happens during both segments.
Pre-pregnancy checkups help a female to take healthy steps before getting pregnant. During these visits a doctor does a detailed checkup and analyzes your body mechanisms. These visits help you to plan a reproductive life.
Doctors determine whether you need a clear amount of folic acid. Body immunity, diabetes, and blood pressure are analyzed. You get guidance about a proper body weight in accordance with your height. Your partner and your family health history is being recorded.
Pre-birth check-ups are more important than the pre-pregnancy checkups. These visits actually determine what is prenatal care and why is it important? Let’s get into the details:
- First of all your doctor will plan a schedule of visits throughout your pregnancy.
- During these visits your doctor checks the health of a mother and of the growing baby.
- Your doctor will let you to know about the safe diet and healthy exercise. You are also guided to avoid harmful substances such as smoking, alcohol intake and other dangerous drugs.
- You are recommended to eat folic acid and other necessary vitamins like Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium, Zinc and Iron. All these supplements help to reduce the risk of neural tube defects and other complications such as premature birth, excessive bleeding and early water breakage.
- Your doctor prescribes some important vaccinations like Influenza, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B etc. These vaccinations will protect you and your baby from some abnormalities for example heart defects, neural tube defects and lung problems.
- Ultrasounds are done to monitor a proper growth and normal positioning of the fetus.
- These are some examples of prenatal care. All these protective measures let your doctor know about any unfortunate abnormality and to take protecting steps as soon as possible.
Other Bizarre Facts You Never Experienced Before!
- Lack of sleep or excessive sleep
- Nausea or vomiting
- Cramps in different parts of the body.
- Back pain
- Fatigue or tiredness
- Constipation or acidity.
- Feet swelling or legs especially in the last trimester.
- Breathlessness after little work in the last trimester.
- All these issues are very common during pregnancy, and you should not worry about them. They disappear with the passage of time. But still, it is obligatory to take care of a female during these issues because she really feels exhausted. It is difficult for her to gather energy to deal with all these issues because she never felt so before.
Family and partner support
Family and partner support is so important during pregnancy. For this purpose, they must know what is prenatal care and why is it important? A partner should communicate openly with her wife and understand her point of view honestly. This is the time period where their relationship can get more stronger or weaker. Pregnancy mood swings make a female extra sensitive and she needs a strong support of her partner.
If she receives what is the requirement of the time by her partner then it can assure a healthy pregnancy and stronger relationship, otherwise, the situation will be vice versa. Family and partner can help her in terms of positive communication, providing her healthy food, helping in physical activities, avoiding smoking and alcohol intake. They can also help her while talking about the importance of prenatal and postnatal care. They can give her tips about how to take care of a newborn and how to deal with some unfortunate happenings.
Things a partner can do to support her wife during pregnancy
Here are some examples of partner support
- Go with her to doctor visits.
- Help her take decisions regarding prenatal tests.
- Attend childbirth classes with her.
- Be patient with her.
- Do not forget to show affection and love, hold her hands, kiss her, ask her what she needs.
- As she should not be drinking alcohol or coffee you should also try to cut back on these things.
- Try eating healthy with her.
- Help in household chores, like cleaning and cooking.
- Give her massages specially on foot and back as it will help her aches during pregnancy.
- If you guys have other children take more responsibility of them like helping them in school work etc.
The sum and substance of all the discussion is that prenatal care is so important to have a healthy pregnancy. It is the most important gift that you can give a female during pregnancy. It will benefit the whole system of the family. Your relationship will be stronger than before. You will be blessed with a healthy baby. Your wife will be happy and healthy to look after the newborn. Your positive attitude and care will give her extra energy to perform all the tasks happily and to enjoy all the changes of pregnancy. For more important tips you can also read about some other tips related to postnatal care.
We would be very happy to hear from you on the comments sections of our Facebook page. You can also visit our Quora page. Feel free to leave your comments and queries about what is prenatal care and why is it important!!!