How to Treat Diarrhea in Infants at Home: Effective Remedies!
Diarrhea can be a common issue for infants, but there are ways to help ease their discomfort at home. Some remedies on how to treat diarrhea in infants at home are as follows:
- Breast milk
- Red Lentil Soup
- Rice Water
- Arrowroot Powder
- Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS)
- Foods Rich in Starch
- Coconut Water
- Sago Water
- Carrot and Pomegranate Juices
- Onion Juice
In this blog, we’ll discuss the different remedies regarding how to treat diarrhea in infants at home, causes and signs of diarrhea in infants.
What are the main causes of diarrhea in infants?
There are a variety of different causes of diarrhea in breastfed and bottle-fed infants. Some of the most common causes include:
- Viral and bacterial infections
- Food allergies or sensitivities
- Lactose intolerance
Infants who are breastfed can develop diarrhea if their mothers consume foods that are known to cause problems for breastfed infants, such as cow’s milk or soy. Bottle-fed infants can develop severe diarrhea if they are allergic or sensitive to the formula they are drinking.
What are the signs that an infant has diarrhea?
There are some common signs that may indicate baby diarrhea.
- Having a lot of bowel movements, often watery or explosive
- Becoming dehydrated
- Having a fever
- Lethargy or extreme sleepiness
What are the most effective home remedies to treat diarrhea in infants?
1. How can breast milk treat infant diarrhea?
There are different ways in which breast milk can help in treating infant diarrhea at home.
- One way is by using expressed breast milk to replace fluids lost through severe diarrhea in breastfed babies. This can help to prevent dehydration in breastfed babies, which is a serious complication of diarrhea.
- Another way is to use breast milk as a natural probiotic. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that can help to restore the balance of good and bad bacteria in the gut. This can help to reduce the severity and duration of diarrhea.
- Finally, breast milk contains that can help to protect against infection in breastfed babies. These antibodies can help to fight off the virus or bacteria that makes the diarrhea worse in breastfed babies.
2. Can Bananas really help in infant diarrhea?
There are a few different ways in which bananas (solid foods) can help to treat infant diarrhea at home.
- Firstly, bananas provide the necessary electrolytes that are lost during bouts of diarrhea, making diarrhea worse.
- Bananas are also easy on the stomach and can help to bind stool, making it less watery.
- Finally, the probiotics in bananas can help to restore healthy gut bacteria.
3. How red lentil soup can help infants having diarrhea?
- First of all, the soup is high in fiber, which can help to bulk up the stool and make it easier to pass.
- Secondly, the soup is also high in protein, which can help to replace lost nutrients and minerals.
- Finally, the soup is also packed with antioxidants, which can help to fight off any infection that may be making the diarrhea worse.
4. Can I use curd if my infant is having diarrhea?
Here are some ways in which you can use curd to treat infant diarrhea:
Mix some fresh curd with water and drink it.
Mixing Curd with other foods
If your child is refusing to drink, you can mix the curd with some other food items like bananas, rice or bread and give it to them.
Another way to use curd to treat infant diarrhea is by making a smoothie out of it. Add some honey and fruits to the curd and blend it to make a smoothie. This will be very beneficial for your child and will help to get rid of the diarrhea quickly.
You can also give your child some probiotic curd to eat. This will help to restore the good bacteria in their gut and get rid of the diarrhea.
5. Is giving rice water to an infant with diarrhea good?
Rice water is a drink that is made from boiled rice. It is often recommended as a natural treatment for diarrhea.
If you want to try rice water as a treatment for diarrhea, it is easy to make at home. Simply boil some rice in water, and then strain off the water. You can drink this plain, or add a little honey or sugar to taste.
6. Can arrowroot powder help against infant diarrhea?
Arrowroot powder is a natural remedy that has been used to treat infant diarrhea for centuries. Arrowroot powder has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties.
Mix 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder with 2 tablespoons of water. Give this mixture to your baby every few hours. You can also add arrowroot powder to breast milk or formula to help thicken it and make it easier for your baby to digest.
7. Can I give apples to my infant in diarrhea?
Apples (solid foods) are a natural source of pectin, which can help to soothe and firm up stool. Pectin also has prebiotic properties, which means it can help promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
- To use apples to treat infant diarrhea, simply give your baby a small amount of pureed or mashed apple.
- You can also offer them small pieces of peeled apple to chew on.
- You can also add apples to other foods, such as oatmeal or rice cereal.
8. How oral rehydration solution (ORS) can treat infant diarrhea at home?
oral rehydration solutions are effective in treating infant diarrhea and should be given as soon as possible after the onset of symptoms. The earlier it is given, the more effective it will be in treating infant diarrhea. If possible, ORS should be given every two to four hours until the diarrhea has stopped.
Main Ingredients of ORS
The main ingredients in ORS are sugar and salt. When mixed with clean water, these ingredients help to replace the fluids and electrolytes lost through diarrhea. ORS also contains other important nutrients such as zinc and vitamin A, which can help to speed up the healing process.
9. Is using foods rich in starch good in infant diarrhea?
Foods rich in starch like rice, potatoes and bread can help to absorb excess water in the intestines, which can help to reduce symptoms that trigger diarrhea.
It’s important to make sure that the child is getting enough fluids, as diarrhea can lead to dehydration. So, in addition to incorporating starch-rich foods into the diet, it’s also important to make sure that the child is drinking plenty of fluids like water or clear liquids.
10. Can buttermilk treat infant diarrhea?
- Buttermilk contains lactic acid, which can help to kill harmful bacteria in the gut.
- It also contains electrolytes like potassium and sodium, which can help to replace those lost through diarrhea.
To give your child buttermilk for diarrhea, mix 1-2 tablespoons of buttermilk with enough water to make a smooth drink. Give your child this drink every 2-3 hours, or as needed.
11. What are the benefits of coconut water in infant diarrhea?
When newborn babies have diarrhea, they lose a lot of fluids and electrolytes, which can lead to dehydration and stomach pains.
- Coconut water is a good source of fluids and electrolytes, and it can help replace what is lost when an infant has diarrhea.
- Coconut water also has antimicrobial properties, which can help fight the bacteria that cause infant diarrhea.
You can also use coconut water as a mouth rinse to help soothe their mouth and throat.
12. Can ginger help in treating infant diarrhea at home?
Ginger can help to soothe the digestive system and reduce inflammation.
- Boil water and add peeled ginger slices.
- Let the ginger simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Give your child a few teaspoons of the ginger tea to drink every few hours.
- You can also give your child some ginger capsules.
13. How can sago water treat infant diarrhea at home?
Sago water has been traditionally used to treat infant diarrhea in many cultures. It is thought to work by absorbing excess water in the intestine and helping to solidify stool.
Boil some sago pearls in water until they dissolve. Give a few spoonful to baby after every loose stool. Sago water can also be given.
14. Can carrot and pomegranate juices help against infant diarrhea?
Carrot and pomegranate juices are both effective remedies for diarrhea.
Juice of carrot is high in fiber, which can help to bulk up stool and make it easier to pass. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals, which can help to boost the immune system and help the body recover from diarrhea more quickly.
Pomegranate juice is also high in fiber and vitamins, and it has powerful antioxidant properties. These antioxidants can help to reduce inflammation in the gut, which can be helpful in treating diarrhea.
15. Is onion juice really effective in infant diarrhea?
This is rather an uncommon way regarding how to treat diarrhea in infants at home. Extract juice from fresh onions. Give it to your infant twice a day.
One thing to keep in mind is that this juice will leave a pungent smell in the infant’s mouth. To overcome this smell, you can use cardamom seeds. Try using this remedy to see the results on your own.
All in all, mild and moderate diarrhea can be treated easily at home. The above-mentioned remedies provide actual results.